Men's Basketball's Rally Falls Short in Loss to Dickinson

Men's Basketball's Rally Falls Short in Loss to Dickinson

CARLISLE, Pa. –  The Ursinus College men's basketball team (11-10, 6-8 CC) lost to Dickinson (3-18, 3-11 CC) on Saturday, 85-75, as its late rally in the final minutes fell short. Ursinustrailed by as much as 22, but fought back to single digits in the final two minutes before running out of time. 

The Bears were outshot 50.9% to 40.4% from the field, including 43.5% to 31.3% from beyond the arc. Ursinus had its woes at the free-throw line on Saturday. The Bears made it to the charity stripe a season-high 42 times – its most since shooting 43 free throws at Dickinson last season – but capitalized on just 24 of them.

Leading the Bears offense were Ryan McTamney and Ryan Hughes who each eclipsed the 20-point mark. Ursinus had been 2-0 this season when McTamney (24) and Hughes (21) both hit 20 points in the same game.

Ursinus got off to a slow start, going down 13-4 in the game's first three minutes. Hughes drained a three, but the Red Devils responded with a trey of their own at the other end. Consecutive lay-ins by Lucas Olshevski, including one off a steal, brought the Bears back within three at 16-13. Again, Dickinson responded with a three, only this time sparking a 9-2 run.

The Bears would go into the half, trailing by 10, 40-30. The Red Devils made 6-of-11 shots from three-point range in the opening half, while it was Hughes who made the lone three for Ursinus.

Dickinson's strong shooting performance didn't end after the first half. After being down by 10 at the break, Ursinus was down 15 within the first minute after another Red Devils three and a lay-in off a steal.

The Bears found themselves down by as much as 22 with 11 minutes to play. However, Ursinus would not go away quietly. Hughes hit a three with three minutes remaining and then sunk the second of two free-throws to put Ursinus down 12. McTamney would follow suit with a three of his own, bringing the Bears within single digits for the first time since the first half, 78-69 with 1:28 left on the clock.

While the Bears tried to rally, it ended up being too late as the Red Devils capitalized on their free throws as Ursinus fell, 85-75.

Ursinus will look to get back on track on Wednesday when it heads on the road to play Washington College.